Rochen Host Customer Forums  
Forums Homepage Rochen Host - Provider Joomla Hosting, Reseller Hosting and Business Hosting Rochen Customer Help Desk Order Web Hosting!

Go Back   Rochen Customer Forums > Public Forums > Pre-Sales Questions

Old 25th May 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
magostoni71
Rochen Community Guest

Some different questions

Hi,
we are a web services company from Italy; we are interested in your plans and services because it seems very professional and because of we use quite on all our customer sites the Joomla system.

Because of now we hosts our sites on a win2003 server with IIS, but we are considering to move to Linux syste and we are newbe of such a system I have some different questions:

- the configuration of MVS in terms of RAM and disk space is locked or can be customized? How could it cost to pas to a 30Gb disk or 2Gb of ram?
-In the space you give us on a MVS or Reseller plan you count only space for our files or you calculate also on MVS the space of the OS and applications?
- is Rocken Vault Backup solution free on MVS plan? And with which frequency the backup is taken?
- all your servers which Linux distribution use?
- if I'll encounter a problem with Joomla security bug or hackering problem, I'll have the possibility to open a ticket in addition to go to the customer s forum?; or the ticket system is only for system problem (mysql, apache, linux)
- the support is also included in the cost of the plan?
- In the Reseller plan and architecture (I think it is shared server) if I have a security problem with a domain on the same machine, can this problem corrupt all our domain on the same server? If the security problem occurs with a domain of another your customer on the same server, can it corrupt also some our domains?
- which antivirus solution you use on your servers?
- because of our sites are all quite small for db and related files and images file for site and template, but some of them have a lot of document in reserved area (using Docman on joomla), is it possible to have an hosting plan to build only the doc repository and so in this way maintain site of little disk usage, and concentrate the big disk usage (some Gb) on another dedicated , more stupid architecture? I'm open to suggestion, this could be a crazy and stupid idea.

Sorry for the great number of questions but decide to move all of our sites (about 15) is a critical decision and I want to have as much information as I can.

Best regards
magostoni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Chris
Rochen Community Staff

I will try and address most of your questions here

1. For custom quotes though drop me an email via: chris@rochen.com and I will put something together for you. We have a special on right now for free double storage to 30GB RAID10 SAS with an MVS if you use the promotional code MVSPROMO while ordering.

2. With the MVS the Operating System (OS) and cPanel install would count towards your disk space usage. Around 4.5GB will be used for this. With the reseller plans only your own files and data counts towards the quota.

3. Yes, Rochen Vault is included free with all MVS accounts but for data restores you will need to open a support ticket to have us handle it. Data is backed up twice per day.

4. We run CentOS Enterprise Linux 5 in x86_64 (64-Bit) mode.

5. Our support ticketing systems is only for issues related directly to your hosting enviroument. E.g. Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. You are welcome to post here at our Customer Forums for Joomla related issues though and there are also companies like Open Source Support Desk (http://www.opensourcesupportdesk.com) who you can contract on a per issue basis for Joomla.

6. Yes, support is included as part of the MVS plan. This includes full management of the server, proactive monitoring and response etc.

7. Yes, the reseller plans are on shared servers but hacks can not spread in the way you mention due to the secure way we have PHP and other services configured. Many hosts run PHP as an Apache module which opens up these type of security problems.

8. Anti-virus is not really required on Linux servers. We run anti-virus on all of our internal Windows management servers though as everyone should on Windows.

9. You are welcome to host some data here at Rochen and other data externally. How this would work in terms of integration with your scripts though I couldn't answer.

Please let us know if we can be of any further help

Follow Rochen on Twitter @rochenhost
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
magostoni71
Rochen Community Guest

some different questions

Thank you very much for your answers (and please because I sent to your sales@ email the same questions a bout two days ago don't consider that email)

I want only to clarify some points about my previous questions:

1) for "custom quotes" you mean also RAM or only disk space?

2) you mean that if we use the promo code at the end we have about 25Gb of free disk space?

3) Do you have development plan to give also MVS Rochen Vault without the need of the ticket request? On reseller plan is it not nedded , right?

9) Do you know of some "only repository on-line" system and service to put big quantity of data (I think only a disk space usage, of some Gb)

10) Because of we are new to Linux, do you think that to start the operation to setup, configure and developa Jomla site, with the usa of Control Panels and the support of customer forums can be quite easy? I know that it is a difficult answer but I mean if the control panels make possible to make a lot of the basic functionality in a easy way.

Best regards
Old 25th May 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Chris
Rochen Community Staff

1) We can add extra RAM, disk space and bandwidth as part of MVS custom quotes.

2) Yes, that's correct.

3) This is in the pipeline but no estimation on when it will be rolled out. With the reseller plans you can login and restore data yourself. Resellers still need to submit tickets for MySQL restores though.

9) I would take a look at a service like Amazon S3.

10) Yes, setting up Joomla is fairly straight forward and doesn't really require any Linux knowledge. There is also a one-click installer within the control panel of your MVS.

Old 27th May 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
magostoni71
Rochen Community Guest

Thank you very much for the Amazon info.

Another question about Reseller plan:
is it possible on reseller plan to customize the php.ini and apache configuration?

Best regards
Old 27th May 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Chris
Rochen Community Staff

You can customize certain directives under a custom php.ini file but not the Apache configuration. With a Managed Virtual Server (MVS) we can customize the entire enviroument to your exact specifications including the Apache configuration.